This weekend I successfully finished my 8th race! Woo Hoo!
The race this weekend coincided with the (Automatic) World Wide WordPress 5k and my goal to run a race a month this entire year! LOVELY!
Santa Anita Derby 5k
This race was quite an experience! The race started in the parking lot of the Westfield Shopping Center in Arcadia, Ca. The race then took you toward the Los Angeles Arboretum and on the grounds of this wonderful property for most of the 5k. The last 3/4 mile takes you back toward the mall and ultimately into the world famous SANTA ANITA RACE TRACK.
Sunday was an ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL day in Arcadia!
Here are some pictures of the mountains!
The race receives 8 stars out of 10
- There were over 5,000 participants who woke up and RAN / WALKED
- The wonderful course through the Arboretum!
- LOTS and LOTS of trash cans for the water cups!
- The walkers that walk in a row of 3+ wide!!! Runners usually have to somehow get past the WALL of walkers! Walkers – stick to the right and allow the runners to pass you on the left! (I suppose I understand ALOT better why the chracter in SPANGLISH (a movie with Adam Sandler) would yell LEFT when she was running up along side someone or about to pass someone!
- The last 3/4 of a mile was a bit more challenging that any part of the race. The last leg of the race takes you into the Race Track. The last 1/4 mile or so takes you onto clay! THIS WAS CHALLENGING! WHEW! Actually threw me for a loop and stopped me from my kick at the end! The only negative feelings are a personal one and in no way at fault of the race coordinators! I will be prepared next time!
I finished the 5k slower than the Mardis Gras Race in Valencia by 1+ minute. Faster than the Venice Christmas Fun Run 5k by 2+ minutes and 7+ minutes faster than the Chinatown 5k! I have enjoyed taking the time to run and focus on my body.
Last night was the first time in a long time I went through my entire set of Yoga Poses to awaken the body. Intergrating Yoga back into my life will only strengthen my running abilities. At the moment I am dealing with a knee issue. I have read and mentioned in a past posting that many knee issues arise out of TIGHT HIPS! Well, let me tell ya…there is A LOT MORE THAN TIGHT HIPS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW! Hamstrings, calves, and various other muscles!
My knee only bothers me when I step down! As I went through my poses I noticed I was holding some emotion there. I cannot put my finger on it…YET! I kept having to remind myself to open my mind and focus on an “OPEN KNEE”! I had to really be aware of not constricting the knee while I moved in and out of various poses. Strange.
Today the knee FELT ALOT better. My taste tester usually puts tiger balm on my knee for me, but I think I am going to make my own version of a rub since I noticed there are petroleum products in it.
In my ever expanding collection of movies, I recently added a running film called The Jericho Mile.
Rain Murphy is a man sentenced to life in prison, choosing to do his time in near-isolation, and engages in distance running when given the opportunity for free-time. While his form and speed capture the attention of prison officials who believe he could be competitive for the Olympics, Murphy expresses disinterest. But when the one man he has befriended is taken advantage of by political groups within the prison, Murphy decides to pursue the opportunity presented to him in his memory. This action not only has profound changes on him, but also on the atmosphere of the inmates in the prison and their outlook on the accomplishments he can make. Written by Tara Ragatz
This film is a must see. I had no idea it would be as inspiring as it is 20+ years later! Anyone interested in a GREAT movie should see this movie! At first I didn’t know what to expect. I had been told it took place in a prison, and quite honestly I’m not into prison flicks. It generally doesn’t seem like they would be positive! HOWEVER, this MOVIE WAS UPLIFTING, POSITIVE and leaves you wanting to see it again and again!
Thanks for reading!
Go Lickity Split!
Love and Light!